10 Things About... Ed Sheeran
Published on 12th August 2014
Ed Sheeran seems to be one of the hottest artists around right now. His second album x is, at time of writing, the longest running number 1 album of the year in the UK, taking a hugely impressive 7th consecutive week at the top.
Digital Spy present to you 10 things you need to know about the singer-songwriter...
1. Edward Christopher Sheeran was raised in the small market town of Framlingham, by father John, an art historian, and mother Imogen, a jewellery designer. Music clearly runs in the family, as his older brother Matthew is a classical music composer.
2. There's no denying that Sheeran has really worked for his success. In 2009 he played an impressive 312 gigs, and continued to get his name out there with constant touring.
3. Sheeran shot to fame with 'The A Team', a folk-ballad about a crack-addicted prostitute. It may have been Ed's breakthrough moment, but he only spent £20 on the video. What did that £20 go on? Fishnets and a crack pipe from Camden market.
4. He may have numerous awards and chart positions to his name, but Ed Sheeran judges his success on something completely different... the ownership of a Nando's black card.
It's no secret that Sheeran loves Nando's, and he even listed it alongside friends and family as something he misses when he leaves the UK.
For anyone interested, Ed orders hummus with peri peri drizzle, olives, nuts, a medium spiced chicken wrap, coleslaw and chips.
5. The award-winning star names all of his guitars, mostly after members of his team. Names include 'James the Second', 'Trevor', 'Keith', 'Lloyd', 'Nigel', 'Cyril' and 'Felix'.
6. He has over 100 tattoos, including a Heinz Ketchup Bottle and Pingu. He also has the logo of Taylor Swift's album Red tattooed on his arm, but I'll reserve judgement. He's even inked One Direction's Harry Styles.
"I mean, these are just crap. There are some that my friends have done and some that are just awful""
7. Sheeran, like most people his age, loves The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (obviously, he has a tattoo in honour of the show). He knows the whole rap off by heart and even mixes it in with his songs at gigs.
8. Turns out, Harry Styles is the lucky (or unlucky) owner of a video of a young Ed Sheeran playing Roger in the musical Grease. Styles has threatened to release the footage if Sheeran ever upsets him, but for now, we have to settle for a picture.
9. If you think Sheeran is solely a singer-songwriter then think again. His influence spans into the most unexpected genres. BBC Radio 1Xtra named Sheeran as the most important artist in the black and urban music scene during the last 12 months. Don't worry, I was also confused.
10. Ed likes to see how much he can fit in his mouth. Check out this amazing video of a young Sheeran fitting as many Malteasers into his mouth as possible...